Subject: Vario-Elmar-28-70 R
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <n5xrd@telepath.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 21:01:24 -0600

I have one and both my wife and I used it this summer and fall.  Took
extensive pictures on out trips, also with the M6.  I was unimpressed with
it when I got it - BUT after getting all the slides back I must say that I
am quite pleased with the lens.

According to a Leica blurb "Test Results," fotoMagazin on 1/92 rated the
lens as "SUPER," its top rating.  It was awarded 9.6 for mechnical and 9.6
for its optical brilliance and sharpness and stated that stopped down its
performance matched that of a fixed lens.

My slides were sharp and contrasty and with good color saturation and
compared well with those from the M6.  Used both K-64 and Provia 100.  Only
problem is the small f stops in low light.  It also focuses rather close.

Dick Hemingway
NOrman, OK