Subject: Re: New and Improved?
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 10:53:30 -0500 (EST)

on 11/3/96 Marc wrote:

>This displays a complete ignorance of what Berek was setting out to
>accomplish.  ZEISS has always designed for maximum optical performance, so
>there is NO "Zeiss glow".

My apologies to Marc.  I know there is no "Zeiss glow."  My point was to use
a broad brush to characterize the superior imaging qualities of high-end
German optics.  I was merely attempting to economize on words.  Seems the
mailings get too long.  I will attempt to be very precise (if not concise)
from now on.  It appears to me that most any of the expensive German glass
(allowing for exceptions) will perform up to a reasonable expectation.  My
father, who started using this type of equipment in the '30s, simply used
his lenses without expounding on all the nuances of an optic; i.e. if he
needed a 90 he used the 90 he owned.  And he made a LOT of very wonderful
images.

As far as comparing (and justifying owning) Leica glass with a Japanese
brand, if we're talking M-Leica, we're talking a unique product that is not
comparable to an SLR.  If we're talking SLR to SLR and we're merely talking
image quality I think we're also missing the boat (except for those seeking
the glow).  If one is merely seeking excellent resolution and sharpness,
then there is probably little compelling reason to choose one over the other
- - given the computer-designed optics we have today.  On another front,
however, I've never seen any Japanese lens that has the same 'build quality'
as Leica.  That's a big part of the equation for me.  I use my Nikon F3 and
lenses when I need the features - but I can't wait to get back to my Leica
M.  But I do choose Leica and Hasselblad over other brands for reasons other
than their optical superiority.

I truly appreciate the evaluations of these lenses from Mr. Puts and the
historical context from Marc.  I'm only saying that I wish there was more
banter about imagemaking and a true sharing of ideas on using these lenses
to best advantage.  I truly enjoy the articles about lenses in LHSA's
Viewfinder.  They describe the use of a particular lens and explain the
optical designer's parameters given the technologies of optical engineering
and glass technology of the day.  It's all laid out.  When one has finished
the article one knows how to take the information and apply it to their
imagemeking.  Perhaps we could have some of these more lengthy discourses
here, rather than a tit-for-tat approach, no?

Curt