Subject: Re: 90/2.8 -M v. 75/1.4 -M
From: captyng@vtx.ch (Gerard Captijn)
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 1996 09:01:20 +0100

I have in front of me two tests from Chasseur d'Images, the biggest French
photo magazine. This is what they say about the two lenses.

           Tele Elmarit-M 90mm/2.8           Summilux-M 75mm/1.4
- ------
          center                corners                center
corners
- ------
1.4     NA                   NA                      average+
average-
2.0     NA                   NA                      good-
good-
2.8     good+               good-                  very good+          very
good-
4.0     very good          very good-          excellent               very
good+
5.6     excellent-           very good+         excellent-             very
good/excellent
8.0     excellent-           very good           NA                      NA

Chasseur d'Images states that they test "definition". I don't know what this
means exactly but the tests should have some comparative value.

From personal experience I (I have both lenses), I can add that the 75mm
Summilux is an absolutely beautiful lens for portraits and photography
inhouse. Superb sharpness, high contrast and a pleasure to use.  I have seen
some critisism on its contrast rendering. I do not understand, as the
contrast is very high and (on my Kodachrome slides) absolutely not
distinguishable from other Leica top performers.

The 90 mm Tele-Elmarit is Leica's best 90mm ever. I use the 90mm more often
than the 75mm because I do a lot of travel photography and need minimum bulk
and weight. Also, I make with my M6 and the 90 mm Elmarit-M wide open (2,8)
sharp pictures until 1/15 sec. which eliminates to a certain extent the need
for a 1.4 lens.

In last analysis, if money is no issue, I would base the choice on:
a. How often do you need 1.4 and 2.0?
b. How often and how long do you need to carry the lens yourselves?

Gerard Captijn,
Geneva, Switzerland.
- -------
>At 11:46 AM 11/1/96 -0600, Richard W. Hemingway wrote:
>>Interestingly, I have received a number of replies on private e-mail - and
>>all of them have been 90/2.8 users and non 75 users.  75 anybody???
>
>I'm quite interested in this comparison also. I have the 90/2.8 and love it,
>but there are times that the two extra stops would be lovely. The US
>$2895.00 MAP and the fact that they are difficult to find used is not lovely
>though.
>
>Hope the input will come to the list so we may all benefit.
>--
>Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
>                          Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
>                          Leica Historical Society Of America
>                          INTERNET:  beamon@primenet.com

INTERNET PROVIDER: GROUPE VTX