Subject: Re: CAUTION!! *LONG* --- Business Magazine Article featuring Leica --- Note LONG!!
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 15:24:35 GMT

> The following text is from "Business Week" October 28, 1996. Page 166E6.
>
> STRATEGIES
>
>                 LEICA SCRAMBLES BACK INTO THE PICTURE
>     It has pulled off a snappy turnaround, and its IPO is a smash
[snip]

Not a flame (heaven forfend), but as one who earns (some of) his crust scraping the odd word onto a
stone tablet or two, might I gently mention the word 'copyright'?

The international convention on copyright contains a 'fair use' provision, which permits you to quote
sections of an article without permission. However quoting the entire piece in this manner could lead
to unfortunate consequences. I'm not saying it *will*, but I don't imagine that Business Week is a
lawyer free zone.

I've had entire articles of mine copied to the net, where they were subsequently mis-quoted and said
mis-quotes villified. If I hadn't been in dire financial circumstances at the time, the perpetrators would
have wound up in court. While I'm sure your version of the Business Week article was accurate, you
wouldn't want to get caught in the crossfire of a similar situation.

dmorton@journalist.co.uk       |  "The loss of an old man
104707.2434@compuserve.com     |  is like the destruction
Kilburn, London, England.      |  of a library"