Subject: Re: R8 Autofocus Hypothesis
From: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 96 17:47 BST-1

> The article below was posted today to the Photoforum on Compuserve.  It
> was posted by a fellow named Donald Ingram, 100664.2005@compuserve.com .
>
> I am reporting it here (without his express permission, but since it was
> on a public forum I'm presuming he won't mind), because it really is
> quite thought provoking, even if not necessarily accurate.
>
> Michael

> The Leica R8 already has built in AF
>
> How does it work and why are Leica keeping quiet ?
>
> The camera's metering uses a multi-element CCD sensor to obtain
> average/spot/multi-segment readings. There are sufficient elements in
> the sensor array to obtain contrast difference information for autofocus
> use.

It doesn't convince me at all, because if the strategy was as described,
surely they'd include focus confirmation LEDs for the MF lenses?

More importantly, if the matrix sensors have got the circuits to detect
focus from contrast, then the lack of focus confirmation LEDs is the
equivalent of leaving dangling wires in the pentaprism (metaphorically),
and not adding FC for the sake of 10p worth of LEDs.

Then there's the question of detecting the direction of OOF.

No, not convinced.

dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk      |  "The loss of an old man
david@cassandra.compulink.co.uk  |  is like the destruction
104707.2434@compuserve.com       |  of a library"