Subject: Re: M-4
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:20:23 -0700 (MST)

>        I understand from various ads in magazines, and from Lager's early
>books, that there exists a list of serial numbers for M camera that
>indicate whether they are M2's, M4's, etc. However, there also apparently
>exists a list of serial numbers versus the factory finish that was applied
>to the camera. In particular, I am wanting to know what the factory finish
>was on M4 #1225531 made in 1969. My concern is how to tell the difference
>between black paint(enamel?) and black chrome.

Hi Bob: Rogliatti's book, "Leica, The First 70 Years" has such lists that
differentiate wherever possible, the finish. For example, it says that
serial nos. 1,225,001 - 1,225,800 were M4 cameras in lacquer (paint) finish
made in 1969.

>        I would strongly recommend joining LHSA to anyone on this list that
>is not already a member.

Agree completely!
- --
Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                          Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
                          Leica Historical Society Of America
                          INTERNET:  beamon@primenet.com