Subject: Re: LHSA Annual Meeting
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 14:34:26 -0700 (MST)

>Would Roger Beamon or other attendee care to inform the LUG membership of
>any interesting highlights at the Annual LHSA Meeting.

Being only a newbie at both Leica and LHSA, 2 years and <1 year
respectively, I'm not as qualified to comment as others. I'll throw a couple
of quick observations in, however, lacking input from others.

The loyal advance guard favoring the nomination and election of Roy Moss to
the presidency were successful in both cases. All LHSA folk are aware of
Roy's contribution in taking VIEWFINDER to a new level of excellence. His
recent resignation from the editorship was a blow, but, I'm sure, as
president, he'll insist on equivalent performance from those assuming the
job. It's just a shame that such a good guy as Bill Grimwood was denied the
presidency through no fault of his. Charisma will win, other things being
equal, and Roy certainly has that along with his editorial abilities.=
 Q.E.D.!

A personal note - I believe that with 2200 members now,  it is wrong to
elect officers based on the vote of maybe 200 members present at the annual
meeting. Clearly, an organization that will soon study the feasibility of
making the Editor of VIEWFINDER and perhaps the Secretary/Treasurer's jobs
paid positions, can conjure up a method of nominations/elections that would
then allow the entire membership to vote by mail, assuring that the vote is
truly representative of the membership's wishes.

Charlotte, NC will be the site of next year's meetings. Site suggestions for
1998 were solicited from the Board and membership, and included cities all
over the U.S. Me? (again personally), I'd opt for board member Sherry
Kr=E4uter's suggestion for Solms, Deutschland. After all, it'll be LHSA's=
 30th
anniversary, would allow our German counterparts to show us all where the
best beer is located, perhaps tempt a few of the Brits to join us, and last,
but not least, *I'll be there* for Photokina 1998 just a couple of week's
previous. Only downside is that not as many from the US would attend, but it
*is* only for a year, once in a while!

Lloyd Weldy, the resident host did yeoman service in tending to the myriad
details that go with the job. Though we were having an unusually warm spell
(>10 degrees F. above normal) most seemed to enjoy the side trips and goings=
 on.

My wife and I really enjoyed the Saturday night banquet. Food was high
average for affairs such as this, but the thing that made the night for us
were the folk at our table. The three young men (two with wives and all
probably not over 35 years old) closest to us were into collecting in
addition to shooting. The gleam in their eyes, as they discussed their
mutual interest, really brought home to us the fact that if all young folk
could have similarly absorbing interests, there would be little trouble with
crime and drugs in this country. Great Leica images by NY Pro, Joe Marvullo,
along with pertinent commentary on their making, topped off the evening. Oh
yes, I DID NOT WIN any of the three Leica drawings. Did hit for a door prize
of a Leica golf shirt, though. The second major prize was won by a chap who
hit the drawing several years ago for the LHSA Commemorative M6 and 3
lenses. This time he only hit for a body!

Lovely stuff was up for sale at the Trade Fair on Sunday morning. Though not
yet a collector, I'm learning, and the equipment offered struck me as
bargains. My take is that the prices being asked for a graded condition were
below typical adverts in the trade publications and even LHSA's publication,
LEICA CATALOG.

Being able to overdose on things Leica and the opportunity to rub shoulders
with Leica heavyweights was a joy. I highly recommend it!
- --
Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                          Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
                          Leica Historical Society Of America
                          INTERNET:  beamon@primenet.com=09