To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Non-Polarising Summitar Polariser?
From: Nick Jackson <jacks@pop.jaring.my>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 10:56:09 +0800

I wonder if anyone of you can unravel a small mystery for me.

I just bought,via mail order ( a necessity from here), a polarising
filter for a 50mm summitar from a dealer in London.  The filter arrived
in a beautiful little Leitz leather purse and showed great promise on
first sight.  It has some signs of fungus growth around the very edge
which I presume is in the middle of the sandwich of glass, but what is
most bizarre is it doesn't appear to have any polarising effect!

Now either I'm going blind or its simply lost its ability polarise - is
this possible?

At certain angles to the light faint parallel lines are just visible, so
I'm fairly sure it is polarising glass and hasn't been swapped.  I know
the shop and they are very reputable.  I will send it back and wait for
another to appear, but would be grateful for any explanation of this
anomoly.

Nick Jackson

Kuala Lumpur