To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Hmm Great new question - AGE
From: Donny Levan <levandon@cps.acast.nova.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 21:38:56 -0400

Eric Welch wrote:

> Photography is the only way I can see myself make a living, either shooting
> or editing. I'm too hooked on it to not do it regularly. What caused you to
> quit? Needed more money? I could understand that! <g>

Eric,
I too love photography. I am only learning how much now.

I studied photojournalism at the University of Florida College of
Journalism, went to Eddie Adams V, graduated got a job (10 days before I
graduated), and worked for two years at the Leesburg Daily Commercial
Commercial, as 30,000 circ. NYTNG paper.

I did not leave only because of the money. I began to realize there was
a clash between the idealistic idenity of a photojournalist I had built
for myself and what I really want. I feel a strong need for community. I
realized that as a news photog I was going to have to move communities
each time I moved up in the profession. I also realize that I like nice
things and need to be able to pay for them.

I also began to realize that the pictures were only of secondary
importance to me. What I enjoy is the relationship with my subjects.
Behind my camera I isolated myself. They couldn't touch me, and I could
not touch them.

The most constant critique I got at portfolio review sessions was "Your
work is technically good, but there is nothing of you in it." I was
playing the role of photographer instead of just being one.

So I quit, moved home and did not touch my camera for two years. I am
now getting a Doctorate in Psychology and actually helping people.

This summer I went to Israel and actually made pictures I like. It was a
whole new experience. No deadline, no portfolio, just shooting for me.
My picutres are a world stronger too.  I see picture stories everywhere
and am looking foward to doing some personal projects.

Donny