To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Film preferences
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 07:50:42 -0400

For b&w I usually use Kodak Tech Pan in either 35mm or 120 (though in 12o it
is rather hard to get into the CL). It is a GREAT!!! film. It is truly
universal since I producded everthing from transparencies to continuous tone
to high contrast to 'solorized prints' with it. I also use Agfapan 25 and
50. If I want a grainier film, I use the Fomapan 100. As a general purpose
film (I keep it loaded in my Minox ML and one of my 120 backs on my ETRS,
the XP-2 is in my estimation without peer. In the Leica, I have the
advantage of being able to use ndx-8 filters AND still having a bright
viewfinder.

In color, I usually use Agfa RSX 50 and 100. I like the color balance and
level of saturation. I tried Fuji Velvia, but found the details lacking in
exchange for its well earned reputation for saturation. Color print film is
something which I almost never use. However, recently I saw prints from
Mitsubishi 100 (no, I haven't had one too many) and I was impressed. The
photographer was NG Lik Fong who for several years was under contract with
Mitsubishi. Though he speaks not English, I finally prevailed upon him to
give me a couple rolls.

AS the leaves turn, I will try it along with the Scala 200. I probably will
add the Scala as part of my standard film since getting the Tech Pan
developed as a transparency in the Toronto area seems to be impossible and I
don't do developing myself.
Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto, Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com