To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: New Cameras -- Street and Retail Prices
From: JayPax@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 23:05:52 -0400

<< It seems to me that every authorized leica dealer advertises new Leica
 prices that are exactly the same -- leading me to believe that Leica
 in some way influences the prices that the dealers sell for.  Now I
 believe if Leica were controlling the dealer's end user pricing, it
 would be considered an unfair trade practice, so I'm not sure what is
 going on here.  It just seems strange that Nikon and Canon prices
 differ somewhat at each dealer you go to while Leica prices are
 virtually identical everywhere.

Jim:

Not being involved in photo retailing, I am speaking out of school, but I
have heard that the markup on Leica gear is very small, so the street price
is a small increment above the wholesale price paid to the distributor.
 Aparrently, that is not the case with Nikon, Canon, et. al., since there is
more variation in the street price on them for sure.

Also, I'm sure the NYC guys read each other's ads, as well!  :)

Jay P.

JayPax@aol.com