To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Value of Lost Equip.
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@gdipa.Unibase.COM>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 14:09:29 -0600 (CST)

> I've gone blind reading Shutterbug ads looking for equipment similar to that
> which I've lost. I'm faced with calculating a replacement value for each
> item.  My method has been to take all examples and calculate an average
> price. Does this fly with insurance companies? Anyone ever have such an
> experience? Any suggetions for finding more prices (the larger the sample
> the better the numbers)?
Check your policy on this one. My camera rider covers replacement
at "replacement cost", but I have to specify in advance the appraised
value of the equipment. I make a best estimate based on what it
would cost me to replace the equipment with comparable new equipment.
In your case, however, this will likely not apply.
   Regarding your claim, if your insurance policy indeed does
   cover you for loss (and I hope they do) then you do not have
   to go through the trouble of averaging out values. You have
   to replace your equipment ... they are obliged to cover your
   losses, as per your policy. So, all you need is perhaps three
   quotes from different dealers, then go with whoever came in
   the lowest, provided of course that all other factors are equal,
   such as the condition of the equipment available.

--
George Huczek