To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Value of Lost Equip.
From: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 96 21:19 BST-1
Cc: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk

> A few years ago I had several thousand dollars worth of bicycling
> equipment
> stolen from my garage.
>
> Replacement value was calculated (at my insurance company's
> instruction) by
> adding together the value of NEW, not similarly used, equipment.
> Anything
> that was no longer available was replaced with the nearest NEW
> equivilant.

Over here there's insurance and there's 'new for old' insurance. The
latter costs more but you actually get sensible amounts if the stuff's
nicked.

The former isn't worth the premium unless you have agreed value before
the event, otherwise your mint IIIg will suddenly become 'an old camera'
and they'll try and suggest a noddy P&S as a replacement.

And don't even think of asking about cover if you ever sell your pictures.

dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk      |  "The loss of an old man
david@cassandra.compulink.co.uk  |  is like the destruction
Kilburn, London, England.        |  of a library"