To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M6 emotive quality
From: "Michael L. Gardner" <mikeg@neca.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 18:16:26 -0700

Marc James Small wrote:

> Once again, I find myself disagreeing with Mr Love.
>
>  If you want to take people
> pictures, then learn how to relate without being offensively close.
>
> I suppose you'll next suggest that doing the macarena is a necessary part of
> photography as well?
> msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
> Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!
Photographing people is always a lively subject for debate.  Having been
on both ends of the camera, I am always concious of my working distance.
Looking at some of Sebastiao Salgado's work, he apparently worked quite
close with a wide angle lens to make some of his most powerful images.
("An Uncertain Grace" Aperture 1990) I guess it depends on how you are
relating to subject(s) emotionally and how much of the subjects
environment you want to show.  On the other hand, if someone was rudely
shoving ANY kind of camera in my face, I would be inclined to join Marc
in raising the well known one finger salute.

Mike Gardner

Boy, this sure has come some distance from a father lovingly
photographing his children!!!