To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Light meters
From: Bob Sperling <bowtie@abest.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 19:27:52 -0400

At 06:16 PM 10/3/96 BST-1, you wrote:

>Like an idiot I forgot to ask about them, but are there ones which fit on
>the screw thread models (I know about the ones for the M series which
>work this way)?
>
>I realise that this would preclude the use of a finder on a IIIx (they
>didn't *seem* to have their own shoe), but it could be rather convenient.
>Or is there a version which couples this way and which *does* offer a
>shoe?
You are not thinking!.  The shutter speed dial on the screw leicas spins
when the shutter is fired, unlike the M cameras, so coupling would be almost
impossible.  In 1939, in the last issue of the English Leica News published
before WW2, there appied a photo of the Leicameter for the G-1938 and later
cameras.  It was small and sat in the accessory clip, but of course, did not
couple.  After the war there were at least 2 versions, made by Metrawatt,
that mounted in the accessory clip.  Some were labeled Leicameter. They
worked quite well, if you value convenience.
Bowtie