To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: R Drives and Winders
From: Klaus Mathisen <klausm@online.no>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 10:24:24 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi!

I too own both the drive and the winder, and while I agree completely with
Michael Gardner's comments, I have to point out the following:

If you plan to use the Universal Handgrip and Shoulder Stock (official Leica
denomination) with shorter lenses, e.g. the 100/2.8 Apo-Macro, you have to
get the winder, and not the drive. It's hard to explain, but if you try it,
you'll see what I mean. Also, with the handgrip on, it's difficult to reach
the shutter speed wheel. And the electronic shutter release on the grip
can't be used to lock the meter reading on automatic cameras. Silly. The
Leica design department obviously never really tests their add-ons before
releasing them. That might be partly true of their cameras as well (R4 is a
good example), so I'm definitely not getting an R8 yet.

I'm not at all impressed with Leica design (R) and reliability (both M and
R) given the prices, but the optics are unbeatable. I hate the R-system, but
I love the pictures. I also have an EOS-1 and a few zooms. Great ergonomics,
fast action, never any problems, BUT unimpressive definition and colour
saturation, so there you are...

Regards,

Klaus N. Mathisen
klausm@online.no