To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #161
From: Klaus Mathisen <klausm@online.no>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 01:12:14 +0200 (MET DST)

At 13:25 28.09.96 -0400, you wrote:
>I have been a life-long fan of Leica optics, using M2s and M3s when I was a
>photojournalist in the 70's.  Today I have an M6 with 4 lenses.

I've always loved the M-series Leicas, too, having had both the M3, M4 and
M6. Prsently, I've decided that the M-series are, after all, a very limited
design, compared to the SLR. I stick with my M6 and 35/1.4 and 75/1.4 and
leave the rest to my R-E. I've always wanted an R-series camera with up to
date ergonomics, hi-speed flash synch, integral metering and so on. Now, I
think I'll sell my EOS-1 with L-lenses and get an R-8.

>But, I've never cared for R series camera bodies, even though I know that R
>lenses are as good if not in many cases superior to their M series cousins.

The R-series lenses are every bit as good as the M-lenses, if not better.
The 100/2.8 is by far the best 35mm lens I've ever used. I don't think the
asked price is unfair. The Leica R-system is very underrated in the SLR
world, but the results it produces can't be beaten. Trust me, I've tried
them all.

>Is anyone else considering getting an R8?

 You bet!

>My dealer is holding the R8 and 100 APO until Monday or Tuesday for me to
>make a decission.  My F4 system may just have to find a new home!

Go for it!

Ragards,

Klaus N. Mathisen
klausm@online.no