To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: More newby questions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 18:30:26 -0400

At 10:49 PM 9/26/96 BST-1, dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk (David Morton) wrote:

>I haven't seen Ken Wilcox's entire message yet (something >amis here,
perhaps), but I'm interested in your comment >about "less edge fade-out",
because the man in the shop >today said they vignetted badly.

>He also said that he didn't see the point in putting a >non-Leitz lens on a
Leica, and I could understand that. >But is the vignetting a real problem?
The one I've seen is >only UKP260 with finder, I could *never* justify a
>Super-Angulon.

Several comments:

First, I have no problem on putting a "non-Leitz lens on a Leica" and,
frankly, probably would not do business with a dealer so perverted in
outlook as to recommend this.  There are hundreds of different lenses
available in M39, some fine, some poor, but many of these are better for
many people than the Leitz originals and to say differently is to ignore the
infinite variety of the human condition and to replace it with a
marque-mystique of questionable worth.  Snobbery is snobbery:  sine
nobilitate!  For that matter, the Super-Angulon is not a Leitz product,
coming as it does from those Gnomes of Kreuznach, Messrs Jos Schneider.

Second, the basic Topogon design does not suffer from the fall-off in image
illumination which marks the Super-Angulon design.  The Super-Angulon
certainly has many virtues -- greater speed being one of them -- but this
difference is inherent in their designs.  I suspect that the UK got a bum
load of Russars at some point, as the only criticisms to this effect I've
heard all emenate from there.  (If you all would quit trying to collect the
Tsar's World War I debt ... )  In any event, those I know in the US and Asia
with this lens seem satisfied with its edge illumination:  check out the
Kiev Report Web Page as I believe they have some comments there on this lens.

Third, 269 Sterling is about par for the ASKING price over here, but an
ex-Soviet vendor at a camera show can frequently be beaten down to a much
lower price, particularly at the end of the day.  I paid $100 for mine, with
VF, in box, which works out to 60 Sterling or so.

I like mine.  I am certain the Super-Angulon is a fine lens and that it is
worth its price, but I'm happy with the Russar and Orion for my wide-angle
work with my IIIc and M6.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!