To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Your Thoughts on Flash Units ... M6
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 11:53:31 -0400

At 12:08  26/09/96 -0700, you wrote:
>At 09:13 AM 9/25/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>For the bucks, look at the good old Vivitar 283. It seems to be a workhorse
>>and can be bought used CHEAP. I got mine with an adaptor cable to fire it of
>
>For the bucks? We're Leica users for crying out loud! :-)
>
>Actually, for the M6 it's hard to beat. But it's not good for the R6. One
>time is all it takes to slip it in our out of the hot shoe of an R camera
>and popping the flash as it's crossing a contact and frying the
>electronics. I hate to keep harping on it, but the 283 is death on newer
>electronic cameras that use low volatge tripping circuits.
>
>===========
>Eric Welch
>Grants Pass, OR
>
>Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.

I agree that the venerable 283 shouldn't be used on many of the newer design
cameras. I was addressing its use on the M6 only. Contrary to popular
opinion, I am not sure that ALL Leica users are either/both rich or foolish
in expending their capital. As a matter of fact I think that Leica owners
are probably more tight fisted as a group than maybe any other camera
oreinted group. Before you all flame me; many of us puurchase it for looong
term reliability and not all the latest bells and whistles. Though I have
never seen a study, I venture to say that for the user (vs. collector), we
tend to keep them several times longer than most other system type owners. I
have more than a few friends who have purchased and replaced systems in a
total aggregate of far more than I have invested in my system. I would
rather collect empty cans to recycle and save my pennies for a Leica than
buy a lesser system.  For me though a flash is another story. I have several
including a Sun 522 and Vivitar 283. If I use either 2x per year, it is a
lot. Therefore, there is a greater chance they will get lost than get worn
out. I'd rather buy these CHEAP and put the extra dollars towards more
glass, visoflexes (can't have too many of these), etc.

Gotta go, I just saw an aluminum can.
Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto, Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com