To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica CL with 40mm
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 00:08:36 -0700

At 09:13 AM 9/25/96 -0400, you wrote:
>What is a "'pro' camera"? I have seen and read articles for years which site
>this, but I have not seen a uniform definition of the term.

Of course it's all opinion at this point. But for me a pro camera is a
camera that is sturdy enough to take the banging a professional dishes out
without giving up too soon. Nikon rates their cameras at over 100,000
exposures before failure. I think it's probably a rather conservative
estimate for their great pro cameras - the Nikon F5/F4. The N90 is sort of
a pro camera, but I don't think it's truly a pro level camera - it breaks
too easy.

Also, pro cameras don't always have features that are the latest, but have
been proven already to be useful and contribute to the picture making
process. Hence, the camera makers often don't put the latest innovations on
the top cameras until they've been tested on the amateurs. That's a good
practice, though the F5 seems to be breaking that trend. But it seems to be
pretty throughouly tested.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR

Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.