To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Help needed
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 11:45:28 -0400

>Hello, I wonder if anyone can help a very puzzled person.

As a fan and user of screw mount cameras, I'll try.

>So what should I be looking for, if I want one to use? What does a IIIc
>not have that a IIIf does? What does a Red dial IIIf give me that a Black
>dial doesn't? is a IIIf better than a IIf? do the model numbers indicate
>the age, or the suffix?

The IIIc and later cameras have a reputation as being somewhat more rugged
than the earlier models. Of these later models, the IIIc and IIIf are the
most common, and therefore often the least expensive. The "f" and later
models have flash synch which can be used with electronic flash. The
difference between If, IIf and IIIf are: the IIf has no slow shutter speeds
and some red dial IIf models have a top speed of 1/500 rather than 1/1000.
The If is like the IIf except it has no rangefinder.

The black dial and red dial cameras are slighly different. The black dial
cameras came first. When the shutter mechanism was changed, the camera was
changed to the red dial model. The black dial model synchs at 1/25 and the;
the red dial at 1/50. The red dial models with self timers are hot in the
collector's market now and my be priced beyond their value.

Cheers!

kw

>Do any of them have electronic flash sync, or are they all bulb or no
>sync at all?

----
Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
600 Dayton, Davison, MI 48423