To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Noctilux flare free ?
From: Guest1 <kel3gu1@unidhp.uni-c.dk>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 20:21:13 +0200 (METDST)

Noctilux flare free at full aperture ?

I would like some info from Leica M users with
hands on experience with the Noctilux under
available light conditions.

First, for 15 years, I have used an R3 with
5 lenses, including the 50 mm Summicron-R.
That is, I have a normal lens already.
Recently I bought my long time dream camera,
an M6 with the new Summilux ASPH (35 mm),
a stunning experience.
However, none of the numerous lens tests,
I have on the Noctilux and the Summilux ASPH,
indicate that they are in the same class. Thus
I dont expect the Noctilux to be as sharp, or
contrasty, as the ASPH.

I would like though to have an additional slightly
longer focal length lens for the M6, for use indoors,
and for night street shots of city pedestrians,
most probably with car lights shining into the lens.
That is, aperture 1.0 to 2.0, 800 ASA plus (B&W).
I figure that the Summilux M 1.4/75 is too
long for the pictures, I would shoot.

So, is the Noctilux a soft lens at aperture 1.0
to 2.0, or could I obtain modulated shadows (B&W) and
the relief like, 3D effect, in my pictures, I
have encountered otherwise with Leica optics ?

Also, how much does the fall off toward the edges,
(resolution and contrast) reported in many
tests of the Noctilux, disturb the actual picture ?

                     Thank you in advance,

                         Ken