To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Your Thoughts on Flash Units ... M6
From: ms fokkema <michiel.fokkema@tip.nl>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 21:40 MET DST

At 10:44 22-09-96 -0700, you wrote:
>I've been looking at a couple of flashguns. They (it) will be used with
>the M6 for general and fill flash. The two or three that look good (to
>me) are the Vivitar 285 HV, the Metz 32 CT7 (expensive), the 40MZ-2
>(again, expensive).
>
>The Vivitar runs about $81 through B&H ... new.
>
>The unit would primarily be used for fill flash with some indoor work.
>Any ideas?
>
>I lean toward the Vivitar due to cost, it seems to do everything the Metz
>units do ... just less expensive.
>
>Additionally, if I buy an R 6.x the same unit will work. What happens if
>I slide down the automation path and purchase an R 7? Another flash unit?
>
>Glenn
>
>Glenn Thrall
>gthrall@ix.netcom.com

Hello Glenn,

I've worked with several types of Metz flashunits and in my opinion metz
makes the finest flashunits that are around.
I just bought a 32CT7 (secondhand) and in my opinion it was not expensive. I
also had the oppurtunity to buy a vivitar at half the cost but I didn't
consider it for one second. The nicest thing about the Metz flashes are that
with the sca system you can use the same flashunit with different types of
cameras and still benefit from the different possibilities each camera will
give. For example:the 32CT7 will work with your M6 as a normal computer
flash, but with a R7 and the right sca adapter you will also have TTL
possibility and with my Minolta CLE I also have TTL flash. I now have a very
compact RF using leitz glass, automatic TTL exposure at the film plane(which
allows very easy use off the visoflex) and TTL flash. For me this is the
perfect camera.
Because of the sca system you only buy a Metz flashunit once in your life
indepent from what camera and always using all the capabilitys off this camera.
Why not buy the best there is? You are shooting with Leica cameras and leica
lenses because they are the best. Same thing goes for a flash unit.

Best regards,

                Michiel.

Replies: Reply from Brian Reid <reid> (Re: Your Thoughts on Flash Units ... M6)
Reply from "Glenn Wm. Thrall" <gthrall@ix.netcom.com> (Re: Your Thoughts on Flash Units ... M6)