To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica repairs in the UK
From: "joe b." <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 23:38:38 +0100

In article <v01540b01ae6743a8bc4d@[158.152.75.105]>, Jack Campin
<jack@purr.demon.co.uk> writes
>corkflor@iol.ie (Alex Hurst) wrote:
>> Does anyone out there have recommendations for a good Leica repairer in
>> England - preferably in the Home Counties.
>
>Malcolm Taylor has a good reputation; I think he's in the South-West
>somewhere.  He advertises in the major UK photography magazines.

He's the one I'm going to try next time; I did get someone called David
Henning in the UK to do a relube for me on a Summarit but after talking
to Malcolm Taylor on the phone about Summarits and what needs to be done
to them along with other Lietz lenses of similar vintage I don't feel I
want to use Mr Henning again. Basically (Mr Taylor said) they tend to
need the coating to be replaced as by now it is often beginning to
disintegrate, and that to keep the cost down can be done at the same
time as re-lubrication or other servicing- except that wasn't explained
to me at the time; possibly Mr Henning doesn't/can't do recoating. So
the next time I need an independent repair or service Mr Taylor will get
it. And talking to Sanjay at Ffordes (the dealer I use the most)- he
said Malcolm Taylor is one of the best, the only problem being that he
isn't particularly fast. And he also said he didn't think Dave Henning
was much good.

Malcolm Taylor
Upper Lyme Farm,
Aymestry,