To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Contax G2 Home Page
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 08:36:34 -0700

At 08:51 PM 9/18/96 -0700, you wrote:

>If they ever make fast lenses, it will likely bury the M6 in the
>marketplace.  but then I am not sure their AF system will correctly
>focus fast lenses...perhaps that is why they have not already made
>them.   a built in motor to 4 FPS and a shutter to 1/6000 are just some
>of the features.
>
>perhaps this is what is needed for Leica to bring out a modern M7.

I disagree. First of all, we have to see if this G2 is really what people
think it will be. The G1 was a big disappointment. Lousy viewfinder,
noisey, clunky manual focus, etc. If they fix all that, which I doubt, it's
still a different class of camera. But I think you're right in suspecting
the reason why they can't build faster lenses, though the AX seems to be
very accurate. I suspect a completely differnet AF detector. That being
said, Blake Ziegler, the Contax rep. who is the father of the G1/2 has said
they have no intention of positioning the G cameras agains the M6, because
they are completely different. I agree with him. I wouldn't want the M6 to
get all the whiz-bang stuff. It would only increase its size and complexity.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR

A husband said to his wife, "No, I don't hate your relatives. In fact, I
like your mother-in-law better than I like mine.