To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Contax G2 Home Page
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 08:36:38 -0700

At 11:07 PM 9/18/96 -0600, you wrote:
>It seems that the M cameras constitute the bulk of Leica sales nowdays.
>There were only about 6000 new R cameras sold last year. Yet, Leica just
>came out with the R8. It seems to me that they better put some resources
>into developing the M7 or they will be history.

The R series makes up a large chunk of their business.  Six thousand
doesn't sound like a lot, but there aren't that many M6s being built
either. And it's probably because they were missing lenses like what they
are putting out now that have hurt the R system. Hurt, by which I mean
attracting non-Leica users. The R system is holding its own in a shrinking
market. They and Contax are two of the few camera companies where sales are
increasing.

And, their market research tells them people want the M6 and no messing
with it! No matter what some of us might want, the majority rules in
economic issues.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR

A husband said to his wife, "No, I don't hate your relatives. In fact, I
like your mother-in-law better than I like mine.