To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Titanium lenses - special order?
From: gthrall@ix.netcom.com (Glenn Wm. Thrall)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 19:55:09 -0700

>I wanted to know if any of the available lenses can be ordered
>with the titanium finish.
>   Dumb ... It seems as if this is a cosmetic consideration only.
>   Perhaps I should try to decide which of the available lenses
>   to get. This is even more of a bummer. I've photographed for
>   20 years, using mainly fixed focal length lenses, so the decision
>   should be fairly straightforward, but it's not.

George,

The question isn't dumb. The titanium lenses can be found in 35 and
50mm, and soon perhaps in 75mm.

As far as the camera finish is concerned, it is very much a matter of
taste unless you happen to spend considerable time in the tropics ...
in which case the titanium finish makes sense.

I use a chrome (silver) M6 and a titanium M6. Same camera.

In some of the places I wander off to, the "black" camera is a signal
the owner is a "professional" ... whatever that means. I prefer to be
seen by the locals, including those with machine guns, as a tourist.

I will now duck incoming fire and defer to those on the list with much
more experience in the exotica of Leica cameras!

Glenn

Glenn Thrall
gthrall@ix.netcom.com