To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: View/-rangefinder with 135 lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 08:47:16 -0400

Well, I haven't any difficulties with the M6's 135mm frameline, but I do
crop a fair amount in the darkroom.  I can see how the frameline would give
problems to others.  And I have a fair amount of experience with the 135mm
focal length, as this is one of my favorites:  I shoot a good deal with the
Tele-Elmar.  (The f/2.8 Elmarit IS a horse, though it is a fine lens optically.)

Why not get an auxiliary viewfinder?  The IMARECT probably wouldn't help a
lot, as that would still have you back to the small image size.  But what
about a magnifying VF like the TEWE or Zeiss models?  Or the Astro-Berlin
model:  these tend to be cheap as, being made in East Germany, they were
made with rather junky aluminium finishes which look schlocky.  But they are
okay optically. The Russians also make a copy of the Prewar Zeiss 28-135
magnifying VF:  nice optics, now coated, and flipped so that it matches the
optical axis of the Leica.  Plus they're pretty cheap:  with case they
generally sell for $100 or so.

Best,

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315