To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: curious about whining sound from R6 and R6.2
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 20:46:39 -0700

At 07:21 PM 9/14/96 -0400, you wrote:
>It may be that it happens mostly after I've used a slow speed like
>1/15th, although I'm not absolutely sure.  Shutter speeds seem to be
>perfectly accurate when I shoot chromes, and I don't think there's
>anything wrong with the bodies, but I'm curious about the sound.
>Anybody have any ideas?

If my expreience is any use, it's the timer on the shutter. On long shutter
releases with a mechanical camera, it needs something to time the exposure.

>P.S.   I predict the new R8 will be roundly hated by the American
>       press, who will say that it is as ugly as a Saab 99 (I kind of
>       liked those cars).

After the EOS1? No way. It's much cooler looking than that!

>P.P.S. I wish Leica would concentrate on some more wide lenses for the
>       SLRs as opposed to working on being the manufacturer with the
>       most long lenses in its lineup.  I would like a really wide
>       rectilinear lens that didn't cost a jillion skillion dollars
>       like that Zeiss 15mm.

They'd have to go a long way to bean Nikon for sure. What wide angle lenses
do you want? Like a 24 f/2 or 28 1.4? I could agree there. But they have
always been really behind in the long line, I think it's about time they
compete with Nikon and Canon and leave Contax in the dust!

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR

Computers can never replace human stupidity