To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M3 and Wide Angle
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 18:20:56 -0700

rlbunting@lucent.com wrote:

> I have a Leica M3 that I use with a 50mm Summilux as the mainstay of my available light photography. I finally am ready to get a WA lens for this camera. I also rely heavily on the MR-4 light meter mounted on the camera.
>
> I believe the bug-eye 35mm lens is my main option. I called Leica and found out that it is not possible to modify the view-finder in this camera to include WA frames.
>
> There is a camera show coming up in my area and I would like to begin the search in earnest. Can you help me with the following info?
>
> 1) Am I missing an option that would allow me to add a WA lens to the M3?
>
> 2) Are there quality differences in the line of ranger-finder ready 35mm lenses? I've seen listings for 35mm lenses that range from f3.5 to f1.4. I prefer f2.0, possibly f2.8 for cost considerations.
>
> Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Roger (L. Bunting)
> rlbunting@lucent.com

You have a number of options.  What is best for you depends upon your
own preferences and pocketbook.

1) The easiest is to use the M3 with a modern 35 Summicron and separate
finder.  I suggest the Canon 35 finder  because the Leitz briteline
costs about 3 times as much and does the same job.  The advantage of
this solution is that if you eventually upgrade to a later M, you
already have the lens for it.   Also the latest Summicrons are
marginally sharper than the earlier ones.

2) Use the 35/2 Summicron with eyes.  This is an older lens, harder to
find. Almost all are in a chrome finish.  The average price for a Mint-
example is about $750.   The advantage is no extra finder, the
disadvantage is a darker viewfinder image and older optics.

3) You can save about $300 if you choose the 35/2.8 Summaron with eyes.
Aproximately the same sharpness.

4) Buy a second, later M body, to use for the wide angles.

Stephen Gandy