To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Kilfitt lenses?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 00:13:06 -0400

Gads. but I could talk for hours about Kilfitt lenses ... a wonderful system
with wonderful optics.

Heinz Kilfitt founded an optical company in Leichtenstein in 1947 that was
subsequently relocated to Munich.  Four families of lenses were produced
(KI, AN, WE, and N) but the KI lenses are by far the most common.  These
have a 39mm thread designed to fit into a Kilfitt Reflex Housing but with a
KIVIS adaptor or equivalent, these could be used on a Viso II/IIa/III.  The
Kilfitt line included the original Zoomar lens, made under contract for
Voigtlander, which ultimately led to the purchase of the factory by the
Zoomar's designer, Dr Frank Back, in 1968;  it subsequently restricted
itself to military optics only and left the civilian market in 1986.

The entire Kilfitt/Zoomar lens line is most impressive.  The most highly
sought after lenses are the 2.8/90 Makro-Kilar, the 4/300 Pan-Tele-Kilar,
and the two Zooomatars, 5.6/500 and 1000 catadioptric lenses, but my special
favorites are the old reliables, the 3.5/150 and the 5.6/300.  Neat lenses.

I had both these lenses out and on my camera yesterday.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!