To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Collapsible Summicron hood & lenscap problems
From: "joe b." <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 18:28:46 +0100

I've just got a 50mm collapsible threadmount Summicron to use on my IIIC
and M6. What I'd like to do is find a lens hood that I can actually use
with this lens. I have a 12585H hood which works well on a (current)
rigid Summicron on the M6, and can be reversed over it and the 14033
lens cap fits over that. But his hood obscures too much of the
viewfinder on the IIIC and can only be reversed over this lens if it is
not collapsed, because when collapsed the focusing knob gets in the way
and stops the hood going far enough back. So I'm thinking there must be
a better hood for this lens particularly when on a thread mount body.
Unless possibly the idea was to not bother with a hood with this lens in
its collapsible form? The Leica Collector's guide seems to suggest that
only the 12585 (doesn't mention the H) will fit.

And another problem; I can't find a lens cap that will fit this lens
when a Leica/Leitz filter is fitted. The metal caps just fall off again,
although they grip perfectly when no filter is fitted. Even the black
plastic 14268 lens cap won't stay on when a filter is on the lens. Which
really surprises me as these caps are what I've used on other lenses
with even B+W filters fitted, without problems. I think there must be a
lens cap made by Leica that fits this lens when a Leica filter is
fitted, but maybe I'm wrong. Any enlightenment on either of these
questions welcomed.
--
joe b.