To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: New Rangefinder cameras
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 13:38:55 -0400

<<They had better make it as good or better than anything since the
original F, or they will probably fade to an irreperable second in pros eyes
for the foreseeable future. --Eric Welch>>

Eric,

It would seem to me that Nikon's reputation among pros just doesn't rest on
one model. Nikon has a good mix of professional models, the FM series among
them.
At the base of the pyramid are the great used supply of Fs, FEs, F2s, etc.
and the splendid lenses past and current that can be used with almost all
models. Even a few of the plastic body Nikons give a good account of
themselves; I still use a 2020, which has a metal internal structure and
sealed prism, that is almost as tough as any of the professional Fs. I still
think the Nikon F is in its own class -- as is the FM.

So even if the new F5 is less than we expected, it will certainly give a good
account of itself; and later variations will bring it up to par. I hope that
Nikon will generate more competition. I have no doubt that it will rise to
the challenge, as long as we're willing to pay the tab.

Bob R