To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: R8
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 07:53:36 -0700

At 12:49 PM 8/15/96 PDT, you wrote:

>Eric - what will the R8 be all about and what is the Nikon F5 - I thought
>the F4 was the top model?

As the country song says: "Time marches on..."

The R8, from what I hear will have a built-in motor, maybe faster flash
sync, maybe focus assist (like the Contax RX - NOT AX). It will be a major
improvement it rumor has it right. But the F5 rumor mill was WAY OFF.

Actually the F5 isn't out yet, but it's been splashed all over the Photo
press and even the general press. And it was all over the Olympics, and was
very popular. Go to Nikon's web site. It's an amazing camera on which I wish
I could put Leica lenses (even without AF). It will be out in Oct., so I
hear. The R8 is due at Photokina, so Oct. for that one too. (One amazing
fact - 8 fps - with follow focus yet at that speed!)

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB Chair