To: Leica-users <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: 20mm Russar
From: Thomas Pindelski <ThomasP@POSTOFFICE.nacm.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 96 12:15:00 PDT
Encoding: 41 TEXT

I just took delivery of a new 20mm Russar f/5.6 lens from SRS in England -
12 days from fax order (credit card) to registered delivery here in San
Diego, California. I have yet to use it but here are some preliminary
observations:

 - All black finish with white numerals
 - vey small, with approx. 3/4" protrusion into the camera body
 - Leica screw mount, non-coupled (I'll use it on an M body with a bayonet
adapter)
 - smooth focus mount with well serrated area for gripping
 - aperture ring non-click stopped, within the filter mount so a filter will
preclude aperture adjustment
 - no click stops. f/5.6-f/22, with DOF scale marked to f/16
 -smooth focus mount, no infinity lock, marked in metres down to 0.5m.
 - severely curved front and rear elements, with the front well recessed, the
rear very exposed
 - deep rear lens cap, heavy bakelite, seems essential to prevent damage to
rear element
 - push-on front lens cap, somewhat loose, metal
 - separate 2 cm viewfinder in heavy metal mount, showing marked aberrations
at edges. Glasses require you 'scan' to see the whole frame; decent if not
spectacular, black paint (?) finish. Incredibly, it's on a
swivelling/tilting mount to permit parallax correction, marked infinit, 1m,
0.5m. Nicely machined swivel/tilt.
 - no boxes or instructions, but it does look brand new. (Vendor alerted me
to this before sale).

Cost was UK pounds sterling 279.00 including 10.00 for shipping registered,
insured. That's about $435.

Overall fit and finish is superior to the glossy chrome 135mm f/4 Jupiter I
owned many years ago, which coupled imperfectly to the M3 rangefinder, but
was sharp (Zeiss Sonnar clone?)

You can fax SRS at 011 44 1923 254543, telephone 226602 or 220558. (US dial
codes).

Best regards,

Thomas