To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: New Rangefinder cameras
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 09:17:55 -0700

At 10:32 AM 8/14/96 +0100, you wrote:
>Anyone heard anything about Leica,Contax,Canon and Nikon developing new
>rangefinder cameras? A UK photo mag said this this to be probable.

Leica, yes. It's called internally at Leica a CL2, but official name is
unknown. Contax, rumor has it there is a G2 coming (follow up to the current
G1.) There are persistent rumors one Japanese manufacturer of pro. 35mm
cameras is coming out with a rangefinder. Whether it be Nikon, or some other
(pretty sure it isn't Canon) I'm not sure, but I do know Nikon did some
research, and for them to produce a pro. rangefinder camera to compete with
a Leica, would end up costing more than an M6. (Leica's advantage is tools
in place.)

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB Chair