To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Hologon conversions
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 17:24:15 -0700

At 10:43 AM 8/13/96 PDT, you wrote:

>a pretty good price (<$3,500) for this exotic lens. Used ones seem to sell
>for several times this sum.
>
>My question is, how good is this rather old design, recognizing that nothing
>else that wide is available?

There are lenses wider available, that are pretty good. Canon has a 14mm 2.8
for less money, and it's rectilinear.

By the way, this is a new design. The old Zeiss Hologon that Leica sold in
the mid 70s was a 15mm f/8 lens. The new one is 16mm, and a new though very
similar design. At that focal length, that one millimeter is a significant
difference.

The old one was a phenomenal lens for its time, and I suspect the new one
will be. One reason is they are symmetrical, or close, and because of the
f/8 aperture, they are able to keep performance high.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB Chair