To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Battery Testing
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 20:28:57 -0600

Friends,

I have done some preliminary battery testing using my M5 as a test bed. The
M5 was mounted on a tripod, one foot away from a Kodak white card. The lens
was second-generation Summicron, made at Wetzlar.

I tested a PX625 mercury cell of unknown manufacture against a PX625U cell
by Varta. The results were rather astounding.

Both batteries were within less than half a stop over the entire aperture
range, 2.0-16. Also, both batteries resulted in linear meter operation, well
less than half a stop.

These results are a big surprise to me. Frankly, I expected a quite
different result.

I will leave the M5 on the tripod with the meter turned on for a day and
report the results to you, whatever they might be.

Best regards,

Chris Fortunko