To: Leica-users <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: M meters and quality generally
From: Thomas Pindelski <ThomasP@POSTOFFICE.nacm.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 96 11:36:00 PDT
Encoding: 47 TEXT

"This simply isn't true -- look at the side of any of these meters.  They
were ALL manufactured by Metrawatt AG of Nurnburg, the same firm who today
produce the light-metering circuitry for the M6."

Sorry, I meant to say Metrawatt. Like it says on the back! Wish they were
made by Gossen, though.

"All of the Leica meters produced by Metrawatt from the original LC60 of
1939
are tough, durable, and accurate.  They are all worthy additions to the
Leica system -- after all, Leica marketed them as an integral part, and
Leica would and will not sell something through its dealers which is of
lesser quality than the camera."

I cannot speak for the LC60, but both the MC meters I own and the 2 MR
meters I once owned are simply not, in my opinion, up to the quality
standards of the M cameras. I recently compared half a dozen MCs in Sandy
Ritz's store in Arizona and they were all over the place - probably age, but
quality? The fit is, at best indifferent, and they scratch the top plate.
Further, the machining of the range switch with its sharp serrations
suggests Russian rip-off not German-original and the chrome is a different
hue from that on the M body.  Finally, the attachment slides for the MC
booster are very fragile and asking for damage in the event of an
inadvertent knock - the earlier plug-in booster for the M, which I have not
used, looks like a better design. My MCs are holding up well in my
amateur-use life but I don't know what hard living pros would make of
them......and would be interested to hear from the professionals on this
list.

As for Leitz not selling lower quality goods through their dealers, hmmm.
 Let's think.  Ah! yes - the little plastic projector masquerading under the
Pradovit name, any number of lens hoods which fall off as easily as they
clip on, the Angenieux lenses for the early Leicaflex with their matching
(?) finish, the rubber lens hood for the Tele-Elmarit which splits, the
superb range of point-and-shoot compacts, the plastic viewfinders for the
21/28mm, the great quality control referenced in recent mailings on this
forum...yes, I see your point.

None of this is bad in itself; Leica is a for profit corporation and will
either remedy these problems or make lower profits. Maybe even go out of
business. But slavish association of quality with all things marked Leica?
I'm not so sure about that. I'm happy to live with the compromises but not
willing to deny the failings.

Thomas