To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Screwmounts to use
From: Nick Jackson <jacks@pc.jaring.my>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 08:21:32 +0800

Marc James Small wrote:

> Without seeming too cross, what the blazes is wrong with all you folks?  The
> Geiss Kontakt is readily available for $35 or so and provides flash synch on
> IIId and earlier Leicas without a quibble.  The IIIc is the ONLY decent
> Leica to own -- recent enough to enjoy the strengthened body, common enough
> that collectors have yet to discover them.  A beater IIIc is a wonderful
> camera and capable of the finest results.
>
> The IIIf bd is a rather dull compromise;  the IIIf rd or rdst has attracted
> such collector interest as to make the price unwieldy, and there are few
> IIIg's remaining for us common folk.

Depends where you buy - I don't know about US prices but I found a very nice IIIf rd in London
recently for not much more than a IIIc (300 sterling for the IIIf body - a IIIc in similar condition would
be about 250 ).  This was at the same time as the Christies sale was on which meant all the second
hand camera shops in Holborn were rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of one of the
Japanese Leicanuts popping in with a few spare dollars left over to burn.

The flash sync may be useful one day but I really bought it because it was in very good condition
and had an amazingly bright rangefinder which had been completely cleaned and overhauled - so
bright I can almost use it without my glasses (I can't stand contacts so have got used to peering
around the viewfinder on a screwmount).  It came with a very nice Summitar as well which was
almost as good, and a beautifully patinated leather case.

Nick Jackson
Kuala Lumpur