To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Screwmounts to use
From: Cameras <Cameras@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 13:44:16 -0700

sphillips@umbsky.cc.umb.edu wrote:

> In te past I've had M4-P's, an M6 and and M4. I would like to get a screwmount to use. Which is a good model for price/useability? Any advice appreciated?

In Leica, the IIIg is the best in terms of features, but overly expensive unless you
find a trashed user.

The IIIf has the benefit of the flash sync over the previous models.  Avoid the self
timer model due to overinflated prices due to collector interest.  From a user
standpoint, the IIIF Black dial version is every bit as good as the Red dial, and
cheaper too.

If you don't use flash, you can save by buying a IIIC.  The earlier models are a bit
more delicate due to the lack of a diecast body, but are fine if you get on in good
shape.  Unfortunately, they usually cost more than a IIIC in the same shape.

If you don't restrict yourself to Leica,  the Canon 7 & 7S have the best screw mount
finders, showing 35/50/85/105/135 parralax corrected frame lines along with lever
advance and easy loading.  The meters on all of them are of questinable use, so you can
save by buying the more common selenium metered 7 over the later and more collectible
7s.

The best classic small body screw mount body I have seen is the outstanding later Niccas
and Leotax with Lever advance and backdoor loading like the M3's.  Very easy and
convenient cameras to use.   Their ease of use overcomes the IIIg's better finder to me.
 Great cameras, but very rare.  Check out the Leica Copy books to get info on them.
Dechert wrote that he liked the later knob wind Canons over the IIIg.  I sure don't.
The IIIG has a much better finder as far as I am concerned.

Stephen Gandy

Replies: Reply from "joe b." <joe.b@private.nethead.co.uk> (Re: Screwmounts to use)