To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leitz/Minolta CL: Question
From: Cameras <Cameras@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 20:22:33 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:

> Let's have some documentation here. What gives you the idea they are not
> motor driven? I owned an R3, and I've played with many R3mots. Never saw a
> signle Mot that wasn't motor (winder) driven. You have evidence this is true?
>
> The R3 cameras labled MOT were motordriven, but the problem was that the motor was
really just a winder capable of only 2 fps--not fast enough to quality for the Motor
designation.   A European lawsuit, I was told, forced Leica to stop using the MOT
designation for a winder.

The problem with Leica's handling of the R4,  which I consider corporate lying, is that
the camera was sold as the best you can buy and then discovered to be inherently
defective.  While it was good they fixed the cameras of those who complained, what they
should have done is taken out full page ads to recall all the R4's within the problem
serial ranges.  Of course they didn't in order to save the corporate buck.   Looks like
a coverup to me---along the theory of "what they don't know won't hurt them."

On multicoating, I went back to the Modern Photography test of the M4-2 in June of 1978.
 The camera was tested along with the 50 Summicron, the 35 Summilux, the 90 Summicron
and the 135 Elmar.   My memory was not entirely accurate on this one.  While the 135 is
labled as single coated and the 35 & 50 make no mention of the coating, the 90 Summicron
is listed as having multicoating.  So while Leica may have pioneered Multicoating, all
lenses were not multicoated in this period.  I have no data on Leica M multicoating
today although I could not find it mentioned in the M6 brochure.

The focusing "test" I referred was repeatedly focusing on objects at different distances
with different lenses and different cameras.   The "test" was to see if all the cameras
would focus the same lens at the same distance by observing the focusing scale.  Note
that this test adds the random element of the photographer's ability to accurately focus
---but then the camera doesn't take the pictures by itself.    The test was conducted
indoors with window light.   Conducting it outdoors in bright sunlight would have made
it too easy as far as I was concerned.

After going through the motions for awhile and being sure that I could get repeatable
focus results with the long based M3 and M4, I switched to the shortened RF based CL and
CLE.   It was then that I found I could not focus the CL as consistently as the CLE,
even though the effective baselengths of the two  cameras are relatively  close.

I make no claims my "test" was objectively accurate.    Other people might easily have
different results.  I do wear glasses and I am very near sighted.  Someone with great
eyesight might be able to focus the CL much more consistently and accurately.

Stephen Gandy