To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica Optical Web site
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 14:34:38 -0400

<<The documented reason Leica opted for the f/2.0 Summicron and dropped the
f/2.8
Elmar, however, had to do with their perception that an f/2.8 normal lens
wouldn't have the market draw of an f/2.0 lens. --Marc>>

I think that market analysis is correct. I certainly wouldn't buy a 50mm
under f2. In fact on any full-feature pro 35mm camera, I'd prefer an f1.4 as
standard. That 40mm f2 is perfectly designed for the CL class. Whenever I
want an all-purpose field lens for use with my M, I use that light, compact
40mm f2.

Bob