To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica Optical Web site
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 07:14:39 -0400

At 07:05 PM 7/23/96 -0400, bowtie@mail.abest.com wrote:

>I owned an F2.8 40mm Summicron and sold it to the Swedish collector Robert
>Schonherr.  There was more than one.

The lens in question was, I believe, a 2.8/40 Elmar --NOT Summicron -- and
it is quite well documented by any of the standard Leica references.  The
documented reason Leica opted for the f/2.0 Summicron and dropped the f/2.8
Elmar, however, had to do with their perception that an f/2.8 normal lens
wouldn't have the market draw of an f/2.0 lens.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!