To: cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu
Subject: Re: 90mm Tele-Elmarit lubrication trouble
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 11:20:56 -0400
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Hi Charles, you said in your message about 90mm Tele-Elmarits and your
conversation with Don Chatterton that he had said that "he is able to
sell only one (1) in four (4) or five (5) of the lenses he gets. The
rest he discards due to this damage."  After my own experience with
Mr. Chatterton, I wanted to urge you to take this comment with a grain
of salt.  I mean, doesn't it strike you as a little strange that
Mr. Chatterton would go on buying Tele-Elmarits when he can only sell
one in four or five and has to throw away the rest?  Why can't he
examine them before he buys them?  Or if they go bad on the shelf, why
doesn't he refrigerate them?

Something about buying Tele-Elmarits in bunches like oysters and then
discarding the ones that don't have pearls in them sounds a little
exaggerated to me.  I guess I'm sensitive to inconsistencies in
Mr. Chatterton's statements, having heard quite a bunch of them myself
recently.