To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: The Leica Forte
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 03:33:14 -0400

<<Well, I've used a Nikon FM2.  It's a nice camera but lacks a great many of
the features of the R6.  Among other things, it has no spotmeter (just the
awkward Nikon centerweighted thing), no mirror lifter, and no TTL flash.  I
guess I'd argue that the R6 is of much more than equal "stature" with the
FM--though not much greater in size!   I don't know if you've used an R6 but
my guess is that it would appeal to you greatly. --Charles E. Love, Jr.>>

Charles,

Tho I've never used an R6, I assume that most of its functions are
battery-dependent. My analogy between the Leica M and the Nikon FM is based
on their freedom from electrical power. True, the FM and the Leica M have
battery powered meters, but those meters will not affect the mechanical
operation of these two fine cameras. When you're working a hundred miles from
nowhere, my choice would be either one of these stalwarts as primary or
backup insurance.

I regard the MR meter on my Leica M3 a spot meter. It covers the area roughly
the perimeter of the a 90mm lens as outlined in the M3 viewfinder. I use the
center circle of the FM the same way. I interpret what they tell me as a
light gray and make my interpretive adjustments, usually 1 to 2 stops either
way.

As for TTL, I use both the M3 and FM for EL work. For TTL I use a Nikon 2020.
So there is a division of function here.

I heard about the Canon 1.0 for the SLR. But we're not involved with SLRs,
and their iffy focus. We're CRF people here. The Noctilux on an M is in its
own class. One of my favorite M lenses is my original 50mm 1.5 Sumarit. I use
it wide open at very high speeds and get remarkable qualities. It's a
travesty that Leica named the lens on its latest pricey point and shoot a
Sumarit. That's like calling a Piper Cub an F16.

Bob