To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: 90 mm., 2 and 3 lug
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 12:45:31 -0400 (EDT)

At last, something to do with actual cameras!  I own the 90 mm. Tele-Elmarit
(later version), and used to have the earlier 90 mm. Elmarit (a legendary
"portrait lens" among Leicaphiles).  I tested them against each other, and
the Tele was noticeably better at large apertures, with higher contrast
across the board.  The Tele is neat because it's so tiny, and I have been
happy with it.  However, the rumor mill has it that the current lens is
really wonderful, as several people who seem to know have said here.

On the R3: if you can get past the fact that the R3 is very close to being a
Minolta XE7, it's a fine camera--I used one for a long time.  It's reliable,
and has spot and averaging metering with aperture-preferred automation,
making for quicker operation than, say, an SL-2 (though without the
wonderful feel).  I am puzzled at the low price, but recommend it to
everyone as the best bargain among Leica SLR's.  Most of them were made in
Portugal, but had none of the reliability problems of the R4 (with the
exception of the motor drive for the R3-MOT).  If you get an R3, it must
have the third lug on the lenses.  Leica can modify 2-lug lenses, but it may
cost an arm and a leg--you have to figure it into your cost.
Charles E. Love, Jr.
517 Warren Place
Ithaca, New York
14850