To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: computer-designed lenses
From: gang@mtdcr.mt.lucent.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 15:31:53 -0400

At 06:52 AM 7/17/96 -0700, Roger L. Beamon wrote:
>Gees, Marc, where did you find snippiness? At any rate, here's what
>Rogliatti says in "Leica The First 70 Years". Pg. 158  "At Leitz the first
>computers were installed as early as 1951". I seriously doubt that those
>earliest computers were aiding in lens design much, if any. They probably
>were used in book keeping, inventory control etc. This surmise, on my part,
>is bolstered by Rogliatti's comment on page 162.  "This period from the
>mid-fifties was also the beginning of the rapid advances in Leitz lens
>design, which have continued ever since, brought about by new optical
>glasses from their glass research laboratory and the application of
>computers".  This time frame seems far more likely.

I doubt very much that computers were used for book keeping and inventory
control in the 50's. Back then, a computer requires a team of
engineers/scientists to operate. It would be much easier to use pens and
papers for book keeping. With memory elements costing a few dollars a byte,
it was simply too expensive to waste it for that purpose. The human-machine
interface of that era was very crude by today's standard. Even as late as
mid 70's when I started using computers, we still used punched cards and
paper based ribbon tapes extensively to communicate with computers. We had
mice too, but they cause circuit problems when they hid inside the
computer.;-) Actually, the earlier computers almost used exclusively for
scientific computations and cryptology.
Gang Huang
Advanced Communications Technologies
Bell Laboratories