To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: the SPAMMER
From: gang@mtdcr.mt.lucent.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:02:32 -0400

At 11:13 AM 6/25/96 +0100, Mark Bishop wrote:
>I appreciate that it may be possible to program the mailserver to reject
>postings which come from outside the group, but would council against doing so
>because we seem to get quite a few postings which are in fact wrongly addressed
>or worded attempts to join the group. If their mailings reach the group,
someone
>can email to give them the correct form of address to get in; if their
>contributions are rejected we could lose them.

Well, again, the mailserver can be configured to return a message back to
the sender saying that the list is for members only and to subscribe to the
list, send mail to xx.yy.zz with keyword subscribe.

>No, I tried another tack with our spurious mailer: I programmed cc:Mail 3.0 to
>send her an email consisting of the word SPAM repeated 20,000 times, on the
>hour, every hour. The first line of the message stated that this would continue
>until she promised to stop sending unsolicited material. I am sure it will have
>had little or no effect but it sure kept my tiny mind entertained.

I certainly hope most internet users don't do this. The internet has already
become so congested. If 50% of the users worldwide send 20000 repeated SPAMs
per hour, the internet will be brought to a complete standstill.
Gang Huang
Advanced Communications Technologies
Bell Laboratories
200 Laurel Ave. 3B-216