To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M4 & M5
From: "Henk Thijs" <henk.thijs@eurocontrol.be>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 08:20:37 +0000

Jan wrote:
'.............ery little talk about the M5 on this list.  From a German
brochure I have, I know the M5 is a slightly bigger camera but it already had
TTL metering PLUS the selftimer that I miss on the M6.  How good was that
meter?
  I also think the large shutter speed wheel around the shutter release button
is a lot more convenient to use (copied by Canon in their EF-SLR).  Is anyone
on
this list actively using an M5?  Is the M5 reliable?  Is it worth the buy (KEH
current price for M5 3 LUG [???] = $2370)?.............'

I am using the M5 already for years -together with an R4- and after the repair
of the 'armswing' with the lightmeter , I am happy with it. Compared to my M3
it is more user friendly. There is one minor disadvantage: the best Leica
repair guy in the Netherlands who made a good and cheap job by replacing the
coverage of the M3 , refuses to do the same for the M5. Too many obstacles; but
luckily I saw the hint of the 'guttapercha', so I can fix small places myself.
Somebody knows where to find this stuff?
Henk

--
  Henk    Thijs                 tel: +31-(0)43-3661249
  Eurocontrol Maastricht UAC    fax: +31-(0)43-3661300